Hazards “Mr Tetin Smelt Gas And Lit A Match!”

A house in St. Mary’s Road, Upton Park was partly wrecked and completely cut in two on Saturday by a gas explosion. The furniture was reduced to a mass of debris, while Mr George Tetin, the occupier, was injured and his wife and two daughters had narrow escapes. Fifty canaries in the dining room were also uninjured.

By |2021-12-05T13:46:00+00:00May 9th, 2020|Feature, News|0 Comments

The Hazards of New Technology

I am currently locked down at Clevedon Court, our family house in Somerset continuing the long task of transcribing the diaries of my great-great grandfather, Sir Arthur Elton (1819-1883). They throw up a lot of interesting things about the difficulties of introducing modern conveniences to an enormous mediaeval house.

By |2023-01-27T13:57:13+00:00April 19th, 2020|Feature, News|10 Comments

Visit to Rhydymwyn Valley Works

Valley Works, in the countryside west of Mold in North Wales, was developed in the late 1930s as a shadow factory for ICI's Randle Works in Runcorn, where mustard gas was made. The Valley was known by the local residents as a place that made nasty things - there were notices in Welsh and English about what to do in the event of a gas escape! In 1941, the MAUD committee reported that an atom bomb was theoretically possible and it was decided to start work on the formidable task of separating uranium isotopes. Again, the site chosen was Rhydymwyn Valley, which had the added advantage of being topographically difficult to bomb accurately.

By |2021-12-05T13:46:38+00:00September 30th, 2019|Feature, News|0 Comments
Go to Top