This summer’s Newcomen Society Annual Conference & Tour will be held in Teesside from Friday 13 to Tuesday 17 July 2018.
The event will be led by Jonathan Aylen and Dr Fred Starr
There is a possibility of a small, self-organising extension on the 18th Conference with lectures planned for Saturday and Sunday morning as well as visits in the afternoon.
Teesside is new territory for Newcomen and we have a wealth of options for visits and access to sites that are seldom open as well as behind the scenes visits.
Planned high-points include:
• A steam locomotive under construction at Darlington Locomotive Works.
• Darlington North Road Station on the Stockton to Darlington Railway.
• Ascent of the fully working Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge; visits to other historic and noteworthy Tees Bridges.
• Friday tour to sites in Hartlepool, north of the Tees
• Monday at the mouth of the Tees, visits to Saltburn, and “the oldest water balanced cliff funicular in Great Britain”, an iron ore mine and works, and Topps Wrought Ironworks.
• Tuesday on plant visits and Tees Cottage Pumping Station, which has the largest working gas engine in Europe, a surviving producer gas plant, a large beam engine and boiler house and early electric pumps.
• Delegates will make their own hotel arrangements. Favourable rates have been negotiated to stay at the Jury’s Inn Hotel in Middlesbrough.
• Delegates are free to make other accommodation arrangements.
• It is anticipated the Conference sessions will take place at the University of Teesside Building on Saturday morning and Sunday morning.
• The hotel will host evening meetings.
• There will be a Conference Dinner.
There will be a modest daily fee with flexible booking arrangements to encourage support. This is a new formula for a regular event. Feedback from members suggested they preferred an annual visit built around a weekend. We will facilitate access to the Conference, returning via convenient stations at the end of each day where possible.
To register your interest please contact Jonathan Aylen at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fred Starr at: email@example.com. Please indicate your interest in particular locations or types of visit, so that we can build this new