PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE A lecture by Francisco A. González Redondo. On the 8 August 1916, the first cable car for passengers of North America opened to the public at Niagara Falls (Canada): the Niagara Spanish Aerocar. Designed by the Spanish Civil Engineer Leonardo Torres Quevedo, it was built, administered and run initially by a Spanish Company established in Canada in 1914. It has been in operation for more than 100 years without suffering a single accident. In fact, the Niagara Aerocar was a replica of the Transbordador del Monte Ulía (San Sebastian, Spain), the first cable car opened to the public in the World in 1907, one year prior to Von Roll’s The Wetterhorn (Grindelwald, Switzerland). The Transbordador was built following Torres Quevedo’s specifications granted between 1887 and 1889 by the Patent Offices of Germany, France, United Kingdom, USA, Spain, Italy, Switzerland and Austria. Torres’ system, the first explicitly conceived for carrying passengers, was completed after trials undertaken in 1885 and 1886 at the Valle de Iguña (Cantabria, Spain), as described in his 1887 patents. It could have been put into operation for the first time at Mount Pilatus (Luzern, Switzerland), but the works undertaken as early as 1889 ended up unsuccessfully in 1896, after what Brian Waldiss (2006) euphemistically considered “bureaucratic” issues.